Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Symphogear meets Symphonia!

 XDU provides us with a legendary crossover!

It was enough to get me playing the game again, and also translate while I'm at it. 

Hit the jump for the first two story missions. These are just rough translations I wrote while I played through them. They haven't been polished or edited so I apologize if they seem a little odd. 

Edit: The third mission has been added!








Stage 1: An Encounter With the Unknown 


Tsubasa: Unngh… Did I fall asleep? 

Kanade: Ow. What the heck happened?

Maria: Is this… the ocean?! When did we come here?

Kanade: Hmm… yeah, this place doesn’t seem familiar at all.

Tsubasa: Not only is this place strange, but the atmosphere… it just leaves me with a bad feeling.

Maria: I wonder what happened? As I recall, we were in the middle of a mission. 

Tsubasa: Right. There were multiple reports of weird sightings and events…

Kanade: Yep. Like someone saw an angel, and there was another report of some weird bone monsters showing up.

Maria: We were on our way to the location when a rift appeared in the sky…

Maria: Maybe this is all related to those reports we got?

Kanade: They did say there was someone who could use what looked like alchemy. We might have gotten caught in one of their techniques.

Tsubasa: That’s certainly possible. However, I wonder what the giant sword I saw for a moment…

Kanade: Sword? Where was that?

Tsubasa: I saw it while we were floating in this weird space, after we were sucked into the rift.

Kanade: I don’t remember that.

Maria: Same here, I didn’t see it either.

Tsubasa: (The two of them didn’t see it? Was my mind just playing tricks on me…?)

Kanade: Wait, are you talking about that janky sword over there?

Tsubasa: This sword…

Maria: You didn’t have that when we were on the mission. Was it just lying there?

Tsubasa: Yeah, I’ve never seen this sword before. It’s very rusted and there are a lot of nicks in the blade. 

Kanade: So it’s just a piece of junk.

Tsubasa: The sword I saw was radiating a mysterious purple aura.


A creature roars


Maria: What was that noise?!

Tsubasa: It sounded like some sort of creature roaring.

Kanade: Behind you, Tsubasa!

Tsubasa: Yeah, I see it. Nobody gets the drop on me that easily!

Kanade: You’re super skilled, being able to ward it off with janky sword like that!

Tsubasa: Well, I didn’t have time to don my gear so I just took a swing at it with this.

Tsubasa: Keep your guard up! I’m still sensing bloodlust from it!


It attacks Kanade


Kanade: Gah, it was only playing dead. That was a dirty trick!

Tsubasa: Are you okay?!

Kanade: Dodging an attack like that is a piece of cake! But what on Earth are these things?

Maria: I’m curious about that, too. But we don’t have time to ponder it over!

Tsubasa: Right! En guarde! 

Tsubasa: Imyuteus amenohabakiri tron-


They fight them off


Maria: These are monsters? Or maybe beasts is a better way to put it. Anyways, they vanished when we beat them.

Maria: And these… are coins, right? They appeared after the beasts went away.

Kanade: There’s some kind of stone, too. I don't think these things maintain a very good diet.

Tsubasa: It seems we’ve arrived in a world where everything is a mystery to us…

Maria: For sure. The idea of monsters vanishing and leaving coins is not something that could happen in our world.

Kanade: Okay, but how are we supposed to get back?

Maria: Yeah… I don’t see any sort of gate we can go through.

Tsubasa: If we really did end up here without using Gjallarhorn’s power, then…

Kanade: There might not be a way back? 

Maria: That can’t be… If we managed to get here, then there should be a way to leave!

Kanade: In any case, it seems we’ll have to search for it. But first, we’ve got more monsters to fight.

Tsubasa: ….

Maria: Tsubasa, what are you doing?! Don’t just stand there staring at that old sword like an idiot!

Tsubasa: Ah! Sorry, something feels off about it…

Tsubasa: (It’s different from the sword I saw, but they must be related. I’ll keep it with me for now.) 

Maria: Whoa, there are even more of them now!

Kanade: We’ll have time to think about what they are later, for now we have to deal with this mess we’re in!

Maria: How are we gonna do that with just the 3 of us?!

Tsubasa: I’ll break a hole in their ranks for us to get through!

Kanade: Nice, Tsubasa!

Tsubasa: Hold on! This one hasn’t disappeared yet!

Kanade: Oh crap-

Lloyd: I’ve got you!

Lloyd: Are you okay?!

Kanade: Huh? Oh, yeah… thank you.

Genis: Jeez, Lloyd! How many times do I have to tell you not to go off on your own?!

Lloyd: Sorry! But I saw these guys getting attacked and had to move.

Genis: I get that, but it’s dangerous to go by yourself!

Maria: Who are you?

Colette: Um, my name is Colette. And we…

Presea: There are still beasts left. We can talk later.

Colette: You’re right, Presea. We have to save these people!

Lloyd: Okay! Then let’s take care of business!

Kanade: No way, we’re not just leaving it all to you. We’ll pull our own weight in battle!

Tsubasa: Yes!


-Intermission- 


Lloyd: Double Demon Fang!

Tsubasa: Did he just shoot an energy wave from his sword?!

Tsubasa: Well, I guess I actually have a similar move myself…

Colette: Pow-Pow Hammer!

Genis: Air Thrust!

Kanade: Wow, a gust of wind just sliced right through them. Are they like doing magic or something?

Maria: Wait, what was that hammer supposed to be?!

Presea: Punishment!

Kanade: And that one is swinging a huge axe around like it’s nothing.

Maria: They all seem really strong, plus they’re obviously experienced in combat. We should maybe play it careful around them…

Kanade: Yeah, we don’t know if they’re really friend or foe.

Lloyd: Whew, we managed to beat them all. Are you guys okay?

Kanade: Yep. Thank you!

Genis: Wait, I know that voice!

Kanade: Huh? What about my voice?

Genis: Oh, nothing. It just sounds a lot like my friend, so I was surprised. 

Lloyd: Yeah, it is very similar… but more importantly, have any of you seen a sword?

Tsubasa: A sword?

Lloyd: Two of them, a red one and a blue one. You’d definitely know them if you saw them.

Tsubasa: No, unfortunately we haven’t seen any swords like that.

Lloyd: I see… well, have you seen any other people? We’re looking for a lady in her 20s who looks awfully similar to this guy!

Genis: She’s my older sister.

Kanade: Sorry, we haven’t seen her.

Lloyd: Okay, how about a big guy with handcuffs on? Or a girl who fights with pieces of paper?

Maria: Haven’t seen anybody like that.

Lloyd: Then a guy with red-

Tsubasa: How about you calm down for a minute? To be honest with only just woke up a short while ago. We have no idea where this place is. 

Colette: Then, did all of you get thrown over here too?

Kanade: So, you guys had the same thing happen?

Presea: Yes. All of a sudden… we were flung into this place. And we ended up being separated from our companions.

Lloyd: Speaking of which, we haven’t introduced ourselves yet. Do you have time for chat?

Tsubasa: Just what I was thinking.


Tsubasa: So let me get this straight. Right now we’re in your world, which is one we’ve never heard of before.

Lloyd: Based on the info we shared with each other, yeah. We’ve never heard of your weird power before either… Symphogear, was it?

Presea: You use the pendant… to transform. The technology from your world certainly is mysterious. 

Colette: It’s amazing how you fight while you sing.

Maria: …

Colette: Um… is there something on my face?

Maria: N-no, nothing like that. Don’t mind me.

Maria: (Her voice sounds similar to someone I know… but I can’t place who. Anyways, we don’t have time to make idle chitchat right now.)

Tsubasa: I think you guys understand how our powers work now. How about yours?

Lloyd: We use these things: Exspheres.

Tsubasa: That jewel thing on the back of your hand?

Genis: By implanting it on a person’s skin it increases their fighting abilities.
Kanade: Neat. So you get stronger just by slapping it on yourself? I’d like one myself.

Genis: It’s not that simple. You can’t properly manage the power of the exsphere without a key crest. 

Kanade: Well, I guess everything has a cost huh? So is that magic you used also thanks to the exsphere? 

Colette: You mean the spells? Yes. We can do offensive magic or even healing magic with them.

Maria: This world just gets more different from our own the more you tell us. 

Colette: But actually, this area has different scenery from what we’re used to seeing in our world…

Maria: What do you mean?

Lloyd: Right now in our world, you can’t really see the blue sky.

Maria: So your world doesn’t have a blue sky?

Lloyd: No, it’s because our world is in trouble… which is why we need to get back ASAP.

Genis: Lloyd…

Lloyd: I know, Genis. We’ll find everybody else and then find the Eternal Sword and get out of here!

Tsubasa: “Eternal Sword”…? Is that the two swords you were asking us about earlier?

Genis: No. That’s actually the Material Blade. I guess they’re kind of similar, but more different than anything. 

Lloyd: Anyways, let’s find out more about this island. There’s lots of places we haven’t explored yet.

Lloyd: We’re gonna find everybody before the sun goes down!

Lloyd: Hey, if you don’t have anywhere else to be would you like to come with us?

Tsubasa: I suppose so. We’ll tag along for now.

Tsubasa: Even hearing what they had to say, there’s a lot we don’t understand. Plus it’s not clear if we can really trust them…

Kanade: I don’t think we need to be so cautious. You're always so uptight, Tsubasa.

Tsubasa: Wha?! But given the situation…

Maria: Yeah, yeah. There’s nothing bad about staying on our guard. For now, let’s just see how things play out. 


-Intermission- 


Lloyd: We haven’t been around this area, yet.

Maria: Sorry, but do you mind walking out in front? You guys are more used to fighting the beasts than we are, right?

Lloyd: Of course, just leave it to us. You guys have to take some time when you transform, anyways.

Kanade: Yeah, please and thanks.

Genis: Hey, aren’t you guys being a little too weary around us? 

Maria: I dont know what you mean.

Genis: We’re both in the same boat in that we don’t fully trust each other. But having you guys be so cautious makes it hard to cooperate. 

Tsubasa: Is it common to put your safety into the hands of a total stranger in this world?

Colette: Um, excuse me! Is anybody feeling hungry?

Maria: huh?

Colette: You know, being hungry makes you grumpy! We’ve been walking for a long time and could use a break ourselves.

Genis: T-that’s a good point, but I don’t see how it’s relevant…

Colette: Lloyd, if there’s a good place to sit down then let’s take a break. I would like to talk with Tsubasa and the others more.

Lloyd: Sounds good. I was actually feeling hungry myself.

Kanade: I could go for some grub!

Tsubasa: Hey, Kanade!

Kanade: Oh c’mon. We haven’t eaten a thing since we got here.

Tsubasa: Well, that’s true…

Kanade: Why don’t we just quit playing it so safe? We know from talking with them that they’re not bad people.

Colette: Um, is there any kind of food you like? I think we can all become good friends if we share something delicious together.

Maria: (It’s true. A girl like her wouldn’t bring harm to anybody.)

Maria: Okay, sure. Let’s make something together.

Colette: Great! Thank you, Maria.

Lloyd: Okay, so once we get some food in our bellies will you guys cooperate with us fully and help search the island?

Lloyd: It’s true for both cooking and exploration, but working together is the best way to get results.

Tsubasa: You make a fair point. It’s reassuring to work together with people who actually know this world.

Maria: We have to search for a way for us to get back to our world, anyways.

Lloyd: Then that settles it!

Kanade: Whoa?! A-an earthquake!

Lloyd: Again?! There was one not too long ago!

Genis: Yeah, this is the second one since we’ve arrived here…

Tsubasa: (The sword reacted to something just now…)

Presea: Enemies… are approaching us. They’re beasts!

Tsubasa: I’ll cut down their vanguard!

Lloyd: C’mon team, let’s get ‘em!


Lloyd: Fighting against numbers like these is a piece of cake!

Lloyd: It really makes a world of difference with 3 more fighters. That was an easy battle.

Tsubasa: Yeah, I feel the same.

Colette: Okay, time to gather the drops. Lloyd, help me out.

Presea: Ah, I will help too.

Maria: So you guys gather up the dropped items. This really is a totally weird world.

Lloyd: Genis, you gotta help out too. Wait, huh?

Lloyd: Colette, where is Genis?

Colette: Huh? I thought he was here a second ago.

Presea: Perhaps he got separated from us during the battle.

Lloyd: Genis! If you can hear me, say something!

Tsubasa: He might be injured and unable to move. Let’s split up and search!

Lloyd: Yeah, please do!

Lloyd: Where the hell did Genis get off to?!

Colette: Lloyd, please calm down.

Lloyd: Yeah, I know. But we already lost everybody else, and now if Genis is gone…

Kanade: You don’t think he got taken away by those monsters earlier?

Presea: I’m not sure if the beasts would do something like that.

Tsubasa: In any case, if we’re going to search it’s probably best to go further inland where more monsters are.


Lloyd: And this… is the last one!

Kanade: Whew. We finally cleaned them up.

Presea: As we suspected… going further inland brought out more monsters.

Lloyd: I’ll defeat as many as it takes to make sure we find Genis!

Maria: You certainly have the skills to make that happen.

Tsubasa: However, I must say your fighting style is very peculiar. Did you learn the two-sword style from someone?

Lloyd: I didn’t actually learn from anybody. I’m just fighting in a way that I find easiest.

Tsubasa: I see. So you’re self-taught then.

Lloyd: I would be able to fight even better if I had the Material Blade.

Tsubasa: Those are the two swords you mentioned earlier.

Lloyd: Yeah, the Vorpal Sword and the Flamberge. When you combine those two together they become the Eternal Sword. 

Maria: What? The swords combine together?

Presea: Is that really… so surprising? I think that you also do something very similar yourself.

Kanade: Yeah, she’s got a point.

Colette: As far as we’re concerned… no, as far as our world is concerned, those swords are very important.

Lloyd: We have to find them before someone tries to use them for something evil.

Tsubasa: I didn’t realize how important they were.

Kanade: Yeah… Tsubasa, what about that sword you picked up earlier?

Tsubasa: Oh, you mean this? I don’t think this is one of them… but I suppose I should have them check.

Lloyd: That’s a real junker of a sword. It doesn’t look right at all and even holding it…

Lloyd: Yeah, I don’t feel anything from it.

Colette: I know! Maybe it just got a little beaten up and if you polish it, it’ll turn into the Eternal Sword!

Lloyd: Maybe. Let’s give it a try!

Presea: If Lloyd didn’t sense anything when holding it… I imagine it will remain just a regular sword even if you polish it.

Presea: Besides, I don’t think the Eternal Sword would rust up so easily.

Kanade: Man, you’re totally unflappable. Always cutting straight to the point and with really sharp opinions…

Maria: She’s a lot more composed than she looks. Definitely gives the impression of an adult.

Presea: Adult…! Yes, I am an adult!

Lloyd: Hmm… I guess that sword really isn’t the one I’m looking for after all. Sorry to waste the effort you took in finding it.

Tsubasa: Not at all, don’t mention it. I know what it’s like to lose an important sword.

Tsubasa: I hope we can find it for you soon.

Lloyd: Yeah, we’ll definitely find Genis and everyone else… and then that Eternal Sword!



Stage 2: A Strange Presence 


Lloyd: Any sign of Genis? 

Presea: We found footprints… but they broke off.

Colette: I sure hope Genis is okay…

Lloyd: He’s gotta be fine. There’s no way he would get taken out easily.

Colette: Lloyd…

Lloyd: Yeah. Behind us.

Tsubasa: Maria.

Maria: Yes, I know. Someone is in the shadows of the forest.

Kanade: Hey! You over there! Get out here! Or else!

???: H-hold up! I’m not here to fight with you!

Presea: If that’s the case, then show yourself.

???: Okay fine. Here I am! Look, I don’t have a weapon or anything.

Lloyd: So who exactly are you?

Luciel: My name is Luciel. I’m just an ordinary researcher.

Maria: I didn’t think there was anyone living on this island.

Luciel: Well, this is normally a deserted island. Did you all get blown over here too?

Colette: What? So it happened to you as well?

Luciel: It’s been over 10 years now… I was suddenly whisked away to this place and couldn’t get out no matter how I tried. 

Kanade: More than 10 YEARS?!

Luciel: Correct. I’ve been doing research to try and discover a way off this island, but everything I’ve tried has failed.

Tsubasa: Another earthquake!

Luciel: The time between quakes is getting shorter now. This could be very bad…

Lloyd: Bad? Is there some kind of problem?

Luciel: This island is actually in a different time space than the ordinary. 

Luciel: All I know for sure is that this island is somewhere in the oceans of Tethe’alla. It’s impossible to come and go through regular means.

Luciel: I once found it on a boat but no matter how much I tried to land on it, the boat never reached the shore. 

Colette: Oh my… so does that mean we can never go back to where we came from?

Luciel: I’m not entirely sure yet. There’s not a lot of time for me to investigate more thoroughly. 

Presea: Can you tell us what you mean by that?

Luciel: The earthquakes. They are occurring because this dimension is collapsing. 

Colette: Collapsing?

Luciel: In which case, we may get flung between dimensions and end up stuck there for eternity. 

Colette: We would never be able to get home…

Kanade: So there’s no way off the island AND the island itself is going to disappear?

Lloyd: No, we may still be able to escape. We just have to find the Eternal Sword.

Tsubasa: What do you mean?

Lloyd: The Eternal Sword can cleave the fabric of time and space itself. So we can use it to break free.

Lloyd: This guy says there’s no way off the island, which means our missing friends are still here somewhere. 

Lloyd: If this place is falling apart, then we just gotta find everything we need to before it does!

Colette: Yeah, I know we can do it.

Presea: Let’s start by searching for Genis. Have you seen a boy with silver hair around here?

Luciel: No, I haven’t. You’re the first people I’ve met here.

Luciel: But I’m positive that I know more about this island than any of you do. I’m no good in a fight, but I can help guide you around.

Lloyd: Okay then. We’re counting on you!

Tsubasa: This sounds a little too good to be true…

Maria: I agree. Let’s be sure to keep our guard up.


-Intermission-


Tsubasa: It seems he’s not around here at all.

Presea: …There’s no sign of any people period.

Lloyd: More bad luck. We might need to start thinking of other ways to look…

Colette: Come on, Lloyd, you’re just getting bored. This is only our third spot we’ve searched. 

Lloyd: Hahaha, okay you got me.

Luciel: B-but… whew, I’m feeling tired from all the walking. Can we please rest a moment? 

Lloyd: Alright, time for a break.

Kanade: I’m not feeling particularly tired, so I’ll keep searching around here a bit more.

Maria: Are you sure you don’t need to rest?

Kanade: Yeah, I’ve built stamina from mountain climbing and such. I’m fine so don’t pay me any mind!

Maria: Okay, good luck.

Presea: Me too… I will join you.

Kanade: I’m totally okay going on my own.

Presea: I am also not feeling tired.

Kanade: In that case, I’ll have you tag along. Just don’t blame me if you feel tired later.

Presea: Okay.

Luciel: What kind of object is this Eternal Sword you’re all looking for?

Lloyd: Oh, so the Eternal Sword is actually a weapon that’s usually called the Material Blade.

Lloyd: It’s comprised of two different swords, a red one and a blue one. They’re called the Vorpal Sword and the Flamberge.

Luciel: Interesting. A red and blue sword, huh?

Lloyd: Have you seen them anywhere?

Luciel: Unfortunately I have not.

Lloyd: Bummer… Man, where the hell did they get off to?

Colette: Did you drop them somewhere? But that would be strange since you always carry your swords with you…

Lloyd: You know it. I even bring them in the bath with me.

Maria: When you were all sent to this island, did you pass out like we did?

Colette: Yes. We suddenly woke up here.

Maria: In which case, they could have been stolen while you were asleep. 

Tsubasa: Then they probably would have been stripped of all their possessions. Why just take the swords?

Maria: Fair enough. I suppose a serious mugger might even have taken their lives.

Colette: We still have our items so I don’t think it was a thief. 

Maria: Yeah, that seems like a safe bet.

Tsubasa: There’s no way off the island, so they couldn’t sell it for money anyway. 

Lloyd: Seriously. Where the hell did they go??

Kanade: Heey! You guys! Come over here for a sec!

Tsubasa: Was that Kanade? Maybe she found something.

Tsubasa: Kanade, did you- … What is that?!

Kanade: Yeah. We found it after taking a good look around. Those are ruins, right?

Maria: I thought you said this was a deserted island!

Luciel: Since there are ruins, it’s safe to assume people did live here at some point. However, as far as I know that’s not true now…

Lloyd: Damn, more beasts!

Luciel: The beasts seem to have made these ruins their den. I haven’t been able to investigate them as a result.

Maria: You should have said that earlier! We need to get out of here right away!

Lloyd: Wait a minute! I want to see what’s inside!

Maria: Are you serious?

Lloyd: Our missing friends might be inside there, you know?

Tsubasa: Very well, then we let us work together. For this to go well, we’ll have to put our worries about the future aside. 

Kanade: In that case, let’s wipe these beasts out. Just because it’s their den doesn’t mean there’s an infinite number of them!

Colette: Right. Let’s go, Lloyd.

Lloyd: Okay, let’s get searching!



Maria: More beasts right at the entrance? It’s like they’re sentries or something! Well I’ll get them out of the way!

Maria: Now we can get inside.

Tsubasa: Even more of them popped out!

Colette: Pant… pant…

Lloyd: Are you okay, Colette?!

Colette: Y-yeah, I’m fine…

Presea: We’re reaching the peak of fatigue, we need to stop fighting.

Lloyd: You’re right. And the sun is going down. No choice, let’s make a retreat!

Kanade: I thought about making a solo charge to get inside, but cooler heads prevail. 

Maria: Luciel, is there a relatively safe place anywhere nearby? Wait… where did he go?

Tsubasa: He’s gone?!

Kanade: Shit! I was so focused on the fight I didn’t notice. Where did he go off by himself?

Colette: You don’t think he went inside the ruins, do you?

Kanade: Meaning he found a way to sneak in while we were pounding beasts into the dirt? What the hell was he thinking?

Tsubasa: Sadly, we’re not going to be able to go after him like this. We need to pull back.

Lloyd: But if we just leave him like this…

Tsubasa: What the?! Is that a giant beast?!

Maria: Be careful. It’s clearly got us in its sights!

Lloyd: Here it comes!


They fight it.


Tsubasa: Ugh… it’s tough. It’s on a totally different level from the other beasts we’ve fought!

Kanade: None of our attacks are getting through to it!

Tsubasa: (The fatigue from fighting multiple battles is heavy. We’re at a huge disadvantage if this keeps up.) 

Tsubasa: (I’ll act as a rear guard for everyone and-)

Lloyd: I’ll grab its attention and get it focused on me! You all make a run for the forest!

Tsubasa: What?!

Colette: I’m not leaving you behind Lloyd!

Maria: What she said! I don’t leave people behind as decoys!

Lloyd: But then, at this rate…

Presea: Look everyone, it’s acting strange. 

Colette: The beast is in pain?

Tsubasa: This is our chance to escape!

Lloyd: Right!

Tsubasa: Pant… pant… It looks like we managed to shake off that beast.

Colette: I’m real glad we had a Holy Bottle.

Maria: An object that makes it harder for beasts to pursue you. An awfully convenient thing to have.

Presea: However… we don’t have many of them left. We can’t use them frequently. 

Lloyd: ….

Colette: You okay, Lloyd?

Lloyd: I’m all right. I was just wondering how the others are fairing right now.

Presea: I understand you are worried about them. But right now… all we can do is pray they are okay.

Lloyd: Yeah, I know…

Kanade: So? What do we do now?

Maria: Those ruins do have me curious, but we still have more of the island to search.

Tsubasa: It’s too late for anything else today. I’d like to set up a base for us to rest at, even something rudimentary is fine.

Presea: Agreed. The ocean is close and the forests are wide. There must be food that we find here.

Colette: It’s kind of like we’re having a camp out.

Lloyd: Feels more like we’re castaways trying to survive…

Tsubasa: Okay, so let’s take turns standing guard and get through the night for now.

Lloyd: (…Guys, I sure hope you’re okay).


-Intermission-


The following morning


Tsubasa: We found the perfect spot. Let’s make this area our base for today. 

Maria: Okay, let’s split up the work.

Lloyd: I think letting Presea gather up the materials to make the base is best.

Presea: That sounds good. I feel the most suited for that job.

Colette: Presea is actually a woodcutter by trade.

Kanade: Wow. Makes sense considering how much you swing that axe around. I’m sure downing trees must be easy enough.

Kanade: Cool, so gathering up supplies will be a job for the two of us! Let’s get it done, Presea!

Presea: I look forward to working with you.

Tsubasa: As for food…

Colette: I’ll go!

Maria: Then I’ll be the one who goes with her. Beasts can appear anywhere so having a guard would be good.

Lloyd: In which case, I should go with.

Maria: I want you to stay here with Tsubasa. It’ll be a disaster if any beasts destroy what we’ve managed to put together so far.

Tsubasa: Don’t you think you and I would be best suited to keeping watch, Maria?

Maria: I think it’s better for us to team up with them, rather than struggle on our own since we’re not used to this world.

Tsubasa: I can’t argue with that logic. Roger that.

Lloyd: Hey everybody, just promise not to get reckless out there!

Tsubasa: Now then, I know we’re supposed to guard the base but that doesn’t mean actually doing anything now. How shall I pass the time?

Tsubasa: Actually, where did that boy get off to?

Lloyd: Ha! Hiyah! Uwah!

Tsubasa: There you are. Sword training always does get the blood pumping.

Lloyd: This is about the only thing I can do right now.

Tsubasa: How about you and I have a sparring match?

Lloyd: Against you?

Tsubasa: I’m interested in your sword techniques. If you’ve got time, I would be interested in crossing blades.

Lloyd: I don’t mind, but against you I don’t think I can pull any punches.

Tsubasa: Of course. I plan to go equally as serious on you. Trying to pull any punches will just lead to injury.

Lloyd: Aren’t you going to transform?

Tsubasa: No, I’d like to experience your techniques directly. Actually, I think I have just the thing. 

Lloyd: You’re gonna use that old and busted sword?!

Tsubasa: Although it looks rusted on the outside, I’m sure it’s a proper weapon at its core.

Tsubasa: I actually fended off a beast with this once before.

Lloyd: I see… Well then, let’s get this thing started!

Tsubasa: Your style is so personalized, it’s hard to read your swordsmanship. However!

Lloyd: Tiger Blade!

Tsubasa: I’ve seen through that technique already!

Lloyd: Huh?!

Tsubasa: What’s wrong? That all you’ve got?

Lloyd: As if! Here we go! Sword Rain!

Tsubasa: I’ve already seen that one, too!

Lloyd: I’m not done! Omega Tempest!

Lloyd: Demonic Circle!

Tsubasa: Just how many techniques do you have?! 

Lloyd: That’s not even half of them!

Tsubasa: I guess I really am at a disadvantage without my gear!

Lloyd: Ugh… that was a sharp attack!

Lloyd: (I know I’m mouthing off at her, but she really is strong… and her swordsmanship is so pure. It’s absolutely unyielding.) 

Lloyd: (I’m sure her personality must be equally as honest and direct.)

Tsubasa: (At first I thought his moves were very odd, but now I see they reflect a part of him.)

Tsubasa: (I understand that now that we’ve crossed swords like this. At the very least, I know he’s not the type to trick people!)

Lloyd: It’s been a long time since I’ve done training this intense! I’m gonna keep this up as long as I can!

Tsubasa: Right back at you. I was just thinking I hadn’t had enough yet!


-Intermission- 


Lloyd: Let’s see if you can survive this!

Tsubasa: A nice attack! But I can sense a bit of panic coming from your swordsmanship. 

Lloyd: Yeah, I know that much myself. 

Lloyd: I want to hurry and find Genis and the others. But I know that rushing recklessly doesn’t accomplish anything.

Lloyd: But even so, I still end up feeling restless.

Tsubasa: I know you must be concerned about your friends. It’s understandable you’d want to hurry.

Lloyd: Right, but that’s not all! We’re in the middle of a journey to save the whole world!

Tsubasa: To save the world?

Lloyd: There’s not much time left for Sylvarant and Tethe’alla. That’s why we have to hurry back as soon as possible.

Tsubasa: Right, you mentioned that before. Something about the Eternal Sword being necessary for the sake of the world.

Lloyd: Yeah, without the Eternal Sword we can’t bring the two worlds together. We won’t be able to save either of them!

Lloyd: And that’s not even everything… I actually got those swords from my 2 fathers. One from each.

Lloyd: They are swords that mean a lot to me.

Tsubasa: A sword you got from your father, huh?

Tsubasa: I understand that feeling all too well. Just like you, I received something important from my father. 

Lloyd: What was that?

Tsubasa: It’s not something physical. It’s something that was carved out in my heart. 

Tsubasa: A precious feeling that my father entrusted to me.

Tsubasa: (I see. He has experienced it too. There’s something that he has to protect, exactly like I do.) 

Tsubasa: It’s clear to me. You’re definitely not a bad person.

Lloyd: Huh?

Tsubasa: Sorry. I apologize for holding suspicions about you for so long. 

Lloyd: That came outta nowhere. Don’t sweat it, I was never bothered by it.

Tsubasa: Well, I’d like to make a new promise. If you’re trying to save the world I will do all in my power to aid you.

Lloyd: Are you sure?

Tsubasa: Of course. So I will help you to find the Eternal Sword and your missing friends.

Tsubasa: You still have an adventure to finish and a world to save, right? Then you need to get back quickly.

Lloyd: …Thanks.


To Be Continued 



Stage 3: Established Trust


Presea: Hiyaaa!

Kanade: Wow, you’re a real spitfire! Being able to down a tree with a single swing like that. 

Presea: It is an ordinary task for me. Anyone can do it… with enough practice.

Kanade: Practice huh? Well then, I wanna give it a try. I’ll bring one down with my Gungnir!

Presea: Huh? You’re going to cut a tree with a spear?

Kanade: …Do you think it’s not gonna work?

Presea: It’s fundamentally different… from an axe. 

Presea: However… someone with your skills might be able to cut a tree if you took the right approach.

Kanade: Okay then, tell me what the right approach is!

Presea: You want me… to teach you?

Kanade: Who else is there?

Presea: I learned from my papa. If you don’t mind me just repeating his teachings, then I guess…

Kanade: Yeah, let’s do it!

Presea: First thing, the angle at which the blade goes into the tree is very important…


-Time passes-


Presea: …Okay, that’s it. What do you think?

Kanade: Thanks for teaching me all the deets. I think I know how to do it now.

Presea: I’m glad to hear that. But… I believe that first-hand experience is what counts. It will be the most beneficial. 

Kanade: You’re right about that. Okay, then let me give everything you taught me a try right now.

Kanade: I’ll split this baby in two with my Gungnir!

-She cuts the tree-

Kanade: Hey, did you see that! My first one!

Presea: You really did get it on the first try…

Kanade: Yep, and it’s all because you taught me the best way to do it!

Presea: I think it’s actually because you already had the necessary skill to accomplish it…

Kanade: Just take the compliment!

Presea: …Understood.

Kanade: Oops, we used up a lot of time. Let’s slice these trees down and make up for it!

Presea: I think we can easily make up for it… no problem. However, you must be careful not to down too many trees.

Kanade: Y-yeah, of course. Only the amount we need, right?

Presea: Correct.

Kanade: Well, it’ll be tough to carry them just between the two of us. So let’s take it a little at a time.

Kanade: But before that… let’s clean the floor with these guys!

-Monsters appear-

Presea: It seems they gathered over here after hearing the trees come down.

Kanade: We have to carry this wood back to camp! Don’t get in our way!


-Battle-


Presea: Rising Punishment!

Presea: That’s the last of them.

Kanade: Beasts and trees, all hacked in two!

Kanade: But dealing with beasts and gathering wood… I gotta say I’m feeling tired now.

Presea: I have gels here… would you like to eat some?

Kanade: Oh, you carry candy around. I guess some parts of you do match your outward appearance. 

Kanade: Well then, I’ll help myself to a few!

Kanade: Huh?! What was that?! It feels like all my fatigue just vanished the instant I ate it!

Presea: That’s because it’s not candy. They’re called Apple Gels and they are an item that recovers health.

Kanade: Another convenient item, just like that Holy Bottle thing you used earlier.

Presea: It’s a commonly used supply in this world… so it’s not at all hard to come by.

Presea: In addition to this one there are orange, pineapple, mixed and miracle. Each one has a different effect. 

Kanade: So eating just one gel makes you feel better. How does that even work? Feels like anything is possible in other worlds.

Kanade: Do you have other items like that?

Presea: Our stock has been exhausted at the moment, but the Panacea Bottle can cure poison, paralysis, and other ill effects. 

Presea: There is also the Dark Bottle, which has the opposite effective of the Holy Bottle and can lure in beasts. 

Kanade: You even have stuff like that?! That’s incredible but also kinda terrifying. 

Kanade: But thanks to all the cool stuff you got in this world, I guess you don’t need doctors!

Presea: They do not cure sickness, so doctors are still a necessity…

Kanade: Oh, I see how it is. Well, what other interesting stuff have you got? 

Presea: Let’s see, there are many different items but among the most interesting there is…


-Intermission-


Kanade: Thanks for letting me pick your brain about all this stuff. I enjoyed learning about this world.

Presea: My pleasure.

Kanade: But you’ve got a ton of power for such a tiny girl! Thanks to you we’ve gathered up plenty of lumber.

Presea: …..

Kanade: Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t say that meaning to insult you for being small and cute or anything.

Presea: It’s okay, I am not bothered by it.

Kanade: Actually, while we’re on touchy subjects I wanted to ask you. Why is a kid like you on a journey like this anyway?

Presea: …..

Kanade: I could tell from seeing how experienced you are in dealing with the beasts. You obviously have been on a really dangerous journey. 

Presea: Well, that’s….

Kanade: Ah… forget it. Let’s just pretend I never opened my mouth.

Kanade: We only just met yesterday, so I shouldn’t be asking you to share such personal stuff with me.

Kanade: So in exchange, I’ll tell you a bit about myself.

Kanade: Despite what you may think, I’m actually a pretty famous singer. 

Presea: Singer?

Kanade: I dance and sing and make tons of people smile. I used to be a duo with Tsubasa called Zwei Wing.

Presea: Oh… is that so.

Kanade: But sadly, Tsubasa lost her life during battle.

Presea: What?! Then Tsubasa is…

Kanade: Oh, no! No! I’m talking about the Tsubasa from my world. The Tsubasa who is with us right now is different. Uh, there’s these things called “parallel worlds”…

Presea: “Parallel worlds”? 

Kanade: Well, you don’t have to make sense of it. Hell, I don’t really get it all myself.

Kanade: But what happened was I had a strong hatred for the enemy that took Tsubasa from me. I kept fighting only for the purpose of obliterating them.

Kanade: I wanted to fight and die just like Tsubasa did… at that time, I had really given up on the idea of even living life.

Presea: Giving up on living…

Kanade: Yep. But then she made me get my head on straight. 

Kanade: I realized I shouldn’t give up on living. And that I truly do love singing. 

Kanade: So that’s when I decided to make that my motto. “Don’t give up on living.”

Presea: …..

Kanade: Oops, this kind of story is hard to know how to react to, huh?

Presea: …You and I might actually be quite similar. 

Kanade: Huh? Similar?

Presea: I was also saved thanks to Lloyd and the others.

Kanade: …

Presea: I was a specimen used in part of a certain project. Thanks to that, I gained the power to swing an axe with ease. 

Presea: However, at the same time, I lost all of my human emotions. Joy, anger, grief, pleasure…

Kanade: Your emotions? But you don’t seem like that to me.

Presea: That’s because Lloyd and the others rescued me.

Presea: The person I used to be… didn’t have the Exsphere properly equipped due to the experiment. 

Presea: If I had not met with Lloyd and the others, then I think I would still be lacking in many things… including my emotions. 

Kanade: So that’s how they saved you, huh?

Presea: Yes…

Kanade: Thanks for sharing your story with me!

Kanade: But that Exsphere thing really is impressive. I wanna try using one myself!

Presea: The Exsphere is… a very dangerous object. It is not something that can be utilized so easily.

Kanade: So that’s a no go, huh?

Presea: Well, I can at least tell you more details about how the Exsphere works.

Kanade: Cool, I’d like to hear that too!

Presea: But before that…. there is something I forgot to mention.

Kanade: And what’s that?

Presea: I am 28 years old, so I am not a child.

Kanade: You’re joking…


-Intermission-


Colette: Ummm, so this and this. And this is also an edible plant, I learned about before.

Maria: Sounds good. I’ll put them in the basket so just wait a moment.

Colette: W-wait, over there is…!

Maria: Huh?! Don’t go off on your own!

Colette: That’s also a wild plant that can be used in cookin- eek!

Maria: I hope I make it in time!

-Maria grabs the falling Colette-

Maria: Whew… that was a close call.

Colette: O-oh, I’m sorry. You saved me from falling flat on my face again.

Maria: Don’t apologize. I’m here to escort you, anyways…

Maria: (Seriously, how many times is that now?! …But I can’t say that to her face.) 

Colette: Thank you! You’re really kind, Maria.

Maria: (For some reason I can’t be strict with this girl. But how on Earth does she trip when there’s nothing to trip on?!)

Maria: And plus, that voice… I can’t tell who it reminds me of. I feel like I hear it all the time, but I just can’t place it…

Colette: Huh? Did you say something?

Maria: Nothing… Hey, there’s a slope coming up so-

Colette: Wh…

Colette: Eeeeeek!

Maria: Damn! I wasn’t fast enough that time!

Maria: Colette! Are you okay?!

Colette: Hehehe… I’m okay. I deal with this all the time.

Maria: Seriously? You don’t look to have any injuries, I suppose…

Colette: I’m sorry. I know you told me not to go off on my own.

Maria: That’s all right. I’m just glad you’re okay.

Maria: Anyways, you stumble more than anyone I’ve met.

Maria: Wait, what’s this? There’s a ton of delicious looking fruits around here!

Colette: There’s wild veggies over here too! You made a good call to come this way, Maria!

Maria: I just picked a direction on instinct. If I had actually been looking for a place like this I’m sure I couldn’t find it.

Maria: (This girl may be a klutz, but it seems she’s got some awfully strong luck too.)

Colette: Oh! I know this veggie!

Maria: It looks pretty unusual. Can it be eaten?

Colette: Yeah, if you put it in a stew it adds a lot of delicious flavor.

Maria: Oh? So this can be used like that?

Colette: Ah, not that one. They look very similar, but that one tastes terrible…

Maria: Huh?! …I can hardly tell the difference between them.

Maria: You’re very impressive to not only have all this knowledge, but the sharp eyes needed to tell things apart.

Colette: I-it’s nothing special. This is all stuff you come to remember when you’re on a journey.

Maria: (Serena also would get shy whenever complimented. I wonder if girls of their type are all like that.)

Colette: Oh, Lloyd loves this one. I’ll gather up a bunch for him.

Maria: Say, I’ve been curious about something but what kind of relationship do you and Lloyd have?

Colette: Lloyd and I are childhood friends.

Colette: He came with me on the journey of world regeneration in order to protect me. I was so happy he did.

Maria: That’s not exactly what I was trying to ask about. But I suppose that might be best for the two of you.

Colette: Excuse me…?

Maria: Oh it’s nothing. Anyway, tell me more about yourselves and the journey you’ve been on.

Colette: Sure. Um, in the beginning I was given the test of the Chosen…


-Time passes-


Maria: I see. So you also have something you want to protect that you’re willing to sacrifice for.

Colette: There are lot of things. …Although I know that it’s not good to make myself a sacrifice to do it…

Colette: But even so, there are just so many things I want to keep safe.

Maria: That girl once said something similar. 

Colette: What girl?

Maria: My little sister. She actually did sacrifice herself in order to keep me safe…

Colette: Oh… Um…

Maria: I’m sorry. Don’t read into it too much. All I was trying to say is that you resemble my little sister.

Maria: Okay, we’ve gathered up plenty of food supplies so let’s head back. We’re all covered in mud too, so our clothes will need a good cleaning.

Colette: Hehe, I think I would get spoiled a lot if I had a gentle older sibling like you.

Maria: Oh?

Colette: Hehehe. Maybe I’d even call you “big sister”

Maria: Huh?!

Colette: Ah, s-sorry about that. I guess suddenly being called that would give anybody a surprise. 

Maria: Y-yes, just stick to “Maria” if you don’t mind.

Maria: (Calling me “big sister” in a voice like that should be illegal! Ugh! How can this girl be so darn cute?!)

Maria: W-well, if I had a little sister such as yourself I’m sure I would have pampered her.

Colette: If that happened then I may have ended up being even more of a klutz than I am now…

Maria: Haha, maybe so. But I bet I couldn’t stay mad at you when you screw up.

Colette: Oh, wait a minute. I see another edible plant over there!

Maria: You really so have sharp eye- no, wait a second!

Colette: Huh?!

-Beasts appear-
Maria: I’m guessing they were attracted here by the smell.

Colette: The beasts are going to eat the food we worked so hard to find!

Maria: No time to fuss, we have to fight them off!


-Fight-


Colette: Angel Feathers!

Colette: Whew, that’s good. Our food is still safe.

Maria: Those numbers would have been tough to handle alone. We were able to handle it thanks to your magic.

Colette: Not at all. And that wasn’t actually magic, it was an Angel Skill.

Maria: I really don’t get the difference between the two still.

Colette: Magic consumes mana to use. They are spells that borrow power from the natural world.

Colette: The blood that flows in elves reacts to mana and creates magic. So you have to be an elf or half-elf to use it.

Colette: Angel Skills… well “angel” might not be the right word for them. They’re something I become able to use suddenly after becoming an angel. 

Maria: In any case, I understand that there’s a difference between them.

Maria: You use that weapon… a chakram, right? You’re quite skilled to be able to use both those and your Angel Skills together.

Colette: I think you and your friends are the skilled ones. I feel like I’d bite my tongue if I had to sing while I fought.

Colette: Plus, I think I would get too focused on singing and not be able to fight properly.

Maria: The song just comes out of us naturally. We aren’t really conscious of it.

Colette: Really?

Maria: Yeah, so it’s not especially difficult for us to do. Although things can get rough if we’re put in a situation we can’t sing.

Colette: I see.

Colette: Ah! I have an Angel Skill where I sing, too. If we sing it together then it might have double the impact!

Maria: Well Phonic Gain does get stronger via singing, so it’s certainly possible. 

Colette: Okay, so when I use it will you sing together with me?

Maria: Sure. I’m looking forward to doing a duet with you.


To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment