Saturday, July 6, 2019

Animate Times interview with Aoi Yuki


Less than half an hour until XV! I've rushed to get this incredible with Aoi Yuki done in time for people to read it before the episode airs. She talks about her overall experience with the series and also touches on the developments in season 5. Please enjoy! 









Turning the anxiety from 7 years ago into resolve: "No one can beat me at being Hibiki"

Symphogear is fighting while singing.

But what exactly does that mean? Before season 1 aired, many anime fans were bewildered by the idea.

However, now it's different. Everyone seems to know that Symphogear = hot-blooded songs and intense battles. Even more, it has become a lengthy series with 5 seasons to its name.

Even to the viewers, following the series over the years has become like building their own history of combat experience, which has nurtured a strange sense of comfort.

"Once I learned how to fight in that world, I became able to accept my anxiety."

Words that could resound with the fans themselves come from no other than the main character's actress: Aoi Yuki.

The Symphogear series has created a real fascination among its fandom. Known for having characters with strong and colorful personalities, intense battles and unexpected twists, amazing character and battle songs, extensive concerts, and much more. These elements have captured the hearts of many fans.

This July, the fifth and final season "Symphogear XV" will air.

Aoi Yuki shared with us her experience over these 7 years, and discusses the reasons why Symphogear has become so beloved among its fans.




Please tell us your thoughts and feelings now that we're facing the climax of the TV anime series, which originally started back in 2012.



Aoi: Season 1 already had a completed story and I didn't think there would be a continuation, so at that time I felt that I already thrown everything I had at the series. However, we were able to follow it up with a season 2, 3 and now we've finally made it to 5. Among recent anime, I think its very rare for a series to run on for this long. I think that's thanks to all the people out there who have continued to show their love and support for the series, and I have nothing but appreciation for them. I believe that one of the trademarks of Symphogear is that it never puts on the breaks and is constantly trying to top itself, and I'm very happy that it has continued to bring in new fans with each season.


So when you look back, does it feel more like "we've finally made it this far" or more like "I can't believe it's gone by so fast"?



Aoi: I would say more of "we've finally made it this far"... (laugh). I'm going to allow myself to be frank and say, back when season 2 was announced I fell into despair thinking "it's not over yet" (bitter laugh). Of course, I was happy that the series itself would continue, but personally speaking all I could feel was "I'm going to have to do these difficult recording sessions again." That's how hard I was pushing myself back then. Then when season 2 ended, "Season 3 is greenlit!" and after that ended "Season 4 and 5 have been greenlit!" Each time it happened I thought "Okay, I can't let myself stop just yet" and kept myself running headlong into it. And now, season 5 is the climax within a climax. It will reveal the truths of the story that bring everything to a close as a fully compiled series. So right now my feelings are: "somehow, I've finally made it this far."


Season 1 began back in January of 2012, which means that you've spent over 7 years being a fundamental part of the series.



Aoi: Each season I thought, "this might be the end", and so now that we've come to season 5 I'm thinking "boy, we've already been through 5 seasons" (laugh). I'm the type who always puts my best in until the very end, so I've constantly been putting my entire heart into all of it. Then afterwards they tell me there's going to be more and I think, "I just put 120% into it, so now I have to go even further beyond that?" And that's happened a total of 3 times now... (laugh).


(Laugh)



Aoi: That being said, as we entered the later half of earlier seasons I started to get precognitions about it! Like, "another season is coming!" (laugh). However, for season 4 we already knew ahead of time that season 5 was waiting for us, so I went into it with a different resolve than usual. Actually, back in season 1 there were times I felt "I'm lacking so much." However, now that we've made it to season 5 I've finally realized it doesn't matter what I "can't" do, I simply need the resolve to "exist as Hibiki for as long as it takes." When it comes to singing and acting... or rather, being Hibiki, I've gained the confidence that no one can beat me over these 7 years.



Was there anything in particular that served as the foundation for your confidence and resolve?



Aoi: By no means do I intend to say that I carry regrets about season 1, but at the time I felt totally unable to reach the goal. My own expectations and that of the people around me formed hurdles that were just too high, and my skills at the time were yet undeveloped. In season 2, I was able to reflect and begin working to improve and so when season 3 came around, I had nearly mastered it to perfection and now that's where I'm at with season 4 and 5. Among it all, I came to the conclusion that I simply didn't have time to worry about anything. Of course, it still left me with anxiety, but at that point I was already the age where I shouldn't be letting it persist. You see, in season 3 we started to get cast members who were younger and more inexperienced than me. I knew that if I was letting my anxiousness show that it would affect them negatively. Up until then I had simply been following the leader, but I knew it was now my time to lead and put myself out in front, which led to me feeling strongly that I couldn't let myself be frightened anymore. In that regard, I really felt I was the same as Hibiki. In season 1 I was full of nothing but worry, but in season 2 I gained new friends and slowly began to realize that "this is what standing upon the battlefield feels like." Once I learned how to fight in that world, I became able to accept my anxiety.


Regarding new friends, do you remember how you felt when you went in to record for season 2?



Aoi: I was blissfully happy with our new additions to the cast. I heard early on that Maria and the others would end up as allies, but I was so excited to find out how that was going to happen. Hibiki is a girl who never gives up, so I felt that as long as she was being optimistic then I would do just the same. Personally speaking, I approached season 2 with the attitude of "I'm gonna get it done!" and I was able to retain my optimistic outlook from start to finish.


Recording for the songs must have been an even bigger challenge than in season 1.



Aoi: During the battle songs in season 1 there weren't really a lot of instances of me going "hiya!" and such. Back then, I really had no idea how to work them in and couldn't get the hang of it. However, then it came time for the 2012 concert and I got to experience how the fans were reacting to the charms of Symphogear. I learned that the reason they were able to accept me as Hibiki was because her spunkiness and my recklessness were synchronized with each other. It was actually the first time I had realized that. Thinking about it like that, I started to notice I accomplished more than I had originally thought. In that sense, I was really glad that there was a second season. When it came time for me to perform her again, I thought hard about the best way I could get her spunkiness and desperation in the fight scenes across. It was really difficult, but I came to understand that "this is exactly what makes Symphogear so enjoyable." Plus, I thought that if we were able to leave the recording sessions with a sense of enjoyment and accomplishment, then that would make it all the more fun for viewers. In hindsight, I think it was full of challenges, but right now the fun memories have left a stronger impression.


Speaking of, during an official interview in season 4 you remarked that the fight scene with Miku was the moment where you realized "this is Symphogear".



Aoi: That fight, from the perspective of Hibiki and Miku, is one of the most important things to happen. Their relationship after that is heavily influenced by the events of that day. Personally speaking, that was the scene where I really felt I had a solid grasp on what "Symphogear" is and I recall even now that it was really fun to record the back-and-forth struggle between them.



In season 3, Maria's group officially joined as allies and fought against the new enemy, Carol. As that unfolded, Hibiki's personal family circumstances also began to come to light.



Aoi: That season heavily featured Carol and her relationship with her father, which allowed them to introduce not just Hibiki's father, but her whole family in general. I think up until that point, Hibiki had just kept running headlong into things because she thought that if she stopped it would cause her to lose everything. However, she made new friends and found a place where she could belong and that offered her and the others an opportunity to actually stop for once. That was when they began to look back on their past and that is what gave birth to season 3. In the end, Carol and Hibiki were unable to come to an understanding with each other. As Hibiki's actress, it even came as a shock to me to learn "there are people who aren't willing to join hands"... Of course, at the very end Carol did take Hibiki's hand, but that was actually her father's hand in essence. That's why, my personal take in regards to the fight against Carol, is that we won but also lost at the same time. I always imagine that Hibiki must take time to reflect back on the fact she was unable to join hands with Carol. It's because of that experience that when it came to season 4, her motivation to join hands with others was so strong, that she was able to get through to Saint Germain.


Also, the bonds between the adaptors outside of Hibiki began to develop. On an installment of Symphogear Radio there was talk that "Hibiki's overall clinginess has begun to settle down" (laugh).



Aoi: That's right! Up through season 2 Hibiki had been really insistent and clingy, but when it came to season 3 everyone else started to open up and cling to each other (laugh). They grew stronger as they survived each battle and by the end of season 3 all of them were just really manly. Also, Hibiki's relationship with Miku became stable... or rather, Miku stopped worrying so much. Whenever Hibiki loses sight of herself, Miku will come to save her. I think it's because of the events of season 2 that really helped to solidify their relationship to this level.


In season 4 you went on record as saying Hibiki has "honed herself as more of a professional", and "has come to understand her reckless drive to help others is something that is impulsive."



Aoi: At the end of season 3, Hibiki realized that recklessly giving something her all is not enough to get results. Up until then, I believed that if she put 120% into something that was enough to accomplish anything. I think she really had the strength to back that up, especially because everyone responded to her spunkiness and lent their own strength. However, through the events with Carol she learned that "there are hands you can't grab hold of by just charging straight at them." I think that was a big step for her character in terms of becoming more mature. I wouldn't say that she matured in season 3, but took what she learned from those events and then put them into practice with season 4. Miku and the other members of the team became stronger and as they became a source of reliance, it allowed Hibiki more time to fret over things. Everyone understands that Hibiki is a girl who finds the answer to her problems by fretting over them. So I felt that everyone created some time for her based on their prior experience to allow her to do that. As a result, I really came to sympathize with Hibiki's drive to join her hand with Saint Germain's. I felt that "this is something I really need to come through in my performance." Up until now, Hibiki's approach has been "I don't really understand you, but I'd like to be friends with you." But after Carol it became, "I have to understand them, in order not to lose them. I have to find a way to join hands." That's how her thought process has evolved.


Ultimately what we see in season 4 is how she's matured not just as an adaptor, but as a human.



Aoi: Then after season 4 ended, at Symphogear Live 2018, I was able to sing Hibiki's "Blooming Courage" song together with Minako (Saint Germain). Throughout the series, most of Hibiki's songs have been about her own personal sense of justice, and were rarely directed at anyone else in particular. However, "Blooming Courage" was really impactful because it was all about how she wanted to understand Saint Germain and addressed her specifically. That's why, when it came to the concert, I made the request "if the alchemist team is going to be there, I'd like to sing with her." Both the staff and Minako said "sure!", and we had them set it up so that we could sing together. I felt that moment was the first time that I was able to make one of Hibiki's dreams come true. I just really felt that it was a song that she would have liked to have the chance to sing with Saint Germain. This whole time I've felt nothing but indebted to Hibiki for always saving me and so that moment on the stage was when I finally felt that I was able to do something to repay her, even though I had to borrow some help to get it done.



And now on to season 5, from the looks of the key visual and story introduction it seems like it's going to be a heavy story...



Aoi: When I saw the key visual for the first time, I did get really worried. Hibiki and Miku looking up at the night sky... for the two of them, watching shooting stars is supposed to be a symbol of their happiness. But the shooting stars being the color of the Symphogears, and their backs to the viewer, not to mention the tagline. I think there's a lot you can surmise from it all. In season 5, they will befall numerous dreadful and sad events that ordinary humans would be unable to overcome. However, I play my role as Hibiki believing that these girls have grown strong enough to overcome anything that comes their way. As of this interview we're only halfway through recording, so I have no idea what lies in store for them at the very end, but I'm going in prepared for anything. I think that Hibiki herself is prepared to give it her all and never lose heart through anything. In season 4 the adaptors went into combat as a set of professionals and I think in season 5 they've sharpened their senses even more. I think rather than saying professionals they're more "masters" at this point? (laugh). I definitely think there's a part of the season that displays them as true "artisans" of the Symphogear, of which there are only 6 in all of Japan (laugh).


(Laugh)



Aoi: Right now, Hibiki hasn't changed her stance. She asks: "Why are you doing this?" "Isn't there some way we can reach an understanding?" She keeps trying, but it's turning out to be very hard to find even ground.


How about the other adaptors?



Aoi: Personally, I'd like everyone to watch out for Tsubasa. This time she's playing a much more fundamental role than ever before. There are a lot of things going on, but compared to everyone around her, Hibiki has been rather stable and I hope that nuance is coming through in my performance. It's not just Hibiki, but every character has circumstances that create these subtle nuances and it's important to remember that they have many allies. No matter what situation they find themselves in, there are people who will fight by their side, and I think that's a strength that is only possible because we've built up to season 5. That's why, if you compare them in season 1 to season 5, you'll definitely think "wow, they're adults now!" I think this is especially true of Hibiki! Throughout seasons 1 to 3, she was always wondering: "What is a hero?" and "I don't want to become a hero, but..." She's spent a long time denying that she's a special person, but in season 5 I think you can say she embraces her hero status (laugh). I think that she's finally digested all of these expectations people have of her. Once she's come to a conclusion about something like that, she becomes really strong and reliable! Personally speaking, as I read through the scripts I feel that something scary is waiting down the road, and I think Hibiki also must feel that fear to a certain extent, but she's also stable enough at this point that I think "it's okay, we'll definitely overcome it no matter what!"



Nothing can get in her way once she's cleared up her doubts.



Aoi: I'm positive that everyone is nervous after seeing the key visual and tagline, but when Hibiki is unbound she's super strong you know? (laugh). She's well beyond superhuman at this point!


A perfect example is the end of season 4, where she had the alchemic gold shine and created an absolute blizzard of punches with an "oraoraoraora" (laugh).



Aoi: That scene is really Symphogear-y and cool to watch, but... all I could think was that I'm glad she's not mad at me (laugh). I've gotten comments from people who weren't involved in the production who said: "I never thought there'd an ora ora, which is exactly why it was so awesome." Then they ask me: "Was that in the script?" and I tell them "Nope, that was me ad-libbing" (laugh). I thought it was really great that the director gave me the green-light! I think that for Symphogear, it's important to have a mix of these elements that are surprising, passionate and just plain cool. When an idea hits like "this could work!" we give it a try and sometimes it just fits right in (laugh).


Like how in episode 1 of season 4, Tsubasa invades the enemy base on her bike before Ogawa suddenly shows up with Hibiki and Chris in tow on a kite (laugh).



Aoi: Exactly (laugh).


I definitely think scenes like that are part of the charm of the series (laugh).



Aoi: Everyone is always saying that one line now: "it itches, but feels so good!" (laugh).


What are your current experiences like in the recording sessions?



Aoi: From episode 1, Hibiki is already out there singing up a storm! The enemy in season 5 is a type of opponent that we've never fought before, so they end up giving the adaptors quite a hard time. If I were to drop a hint here, I would say something like: "humans are the enemies of humans"....! As for the recording sessions, I psyched myself up by thinking "I'm really going to go at it this time!" and in fact I brought so much passion to it that the mic has toppled over a few times.



When it comes to being Hibiki, is there any sort of central piece you've found to getting into character?



Aoi: After playing her for 7 years, I would say the existence of Hibiki inside of me has taken on kind of a shapeless mold. By which I mean, I no longer need anything solid to grasp onto to get into character. In fact, whenever I get the songs and lyrics, I always end up just becoming her. Speaking of which, when the recording for episode 1 finished I remember that Mr. Agematsu said to me: "That was a great first episode. It really feels just like "Symphogear" should." And that made me super happy.


If Mr. Agematsu is saying that, then you really do have a perfect grasp on the character after these 7 years.



Aoi: W-Well, I'm not so sure about that... (laugh). I think I would put it like this: No matter if the sound of my voice is off or out of rhythm, what this series has taught me is that is that I should put my faith in the others around me and just stay focused on believing that I am Hibiki. Though, as a performer if I wasn't able to do that it would definitely be a problem... even if a voice actor could get by without singing, if they couldn't act then that would be really bad (laugh). Right now, my singing and acting are linked and I enjoy that. Naturally, we finally made it season 5 so we can't just have "Symphogear" fall apart here. I hope that when it starts airing, the fans will get pumped up.


What do you think are the reasons that "Symphogear" as a series has become beloved by so many people?



Aoi: I've performed in many different anime and I think that for series where the fans are really supportive, the staff are equally pouring as much love and effort into its production. When it comes to Symphogear, you can really feel the love for it coming from not just the fans, but also the staff and cast. The people who work on Symphogear are constantly thinking about what they can do to make it even better. That's why I would like even more people to watch it and fall in love with it. I hope that the staff's passion reaches the viewers and leaves them feeling fulfilled. I think that in the end, the love really comes through in this series. The fans respond to that love and it creates a really strong reaction among them.


When it comes to this series, you hear similar stories from the radio show, the events and all the members of the cast, so it really shines through.



Aoi: Symphogear was built on love and it powers through by using that love as its engine. I think that becomes clear as you watch it, so I hope the fans will reward the staff for their efforts.



Lastly, please send a message to all the passionate Symphogear fans out there.



Aoi: From season 1 to season 2, season 2 to season 3, season 3 to season 4 and now season 4 to season 5. Each time the love and passion just build even stronger, so it may be hard to believe... but! In season 5! It will grow! Even more! And more! Intense and hot-blooded! All of us in the cast have put our hearts and souls into it! Since season 1 we have been putting our everything into it, but now in season 5 that "everything" is on a new level that doesn't even compare! The reason for that is because, personally, my skills have expanded and I have grown as an actress, and my teamwork with everyone has become better too! But the biggest reason is because I know that the fans are ready and willing to embrace and accept whatever comes at them, so having that trust is what enabled me to power up even more! We've worked on this season to make it the ultimate expression of "Symphogear" that leaves you feeling more satisfied than ever before! So please, watch and enjoy Symphogear XV!

Thank you very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment